Friday, November 12, 2010

Why do you work?

Great conversations tonight with friends. Intriguing, challenging... my friends make me think.

I was talking with Adrian T. about work ... why do we work?

Some might say they work to make money. Some say they work because that is what they love to do. They are passionate about their job, so it doesn't matter that they make barely enough money to get by ... because they love their job.

But he brought a new perspective to me about jobs tonight - he said that he works to make money so that he can spend his life doing the things he enjoys. What a unique perspective! And such a valid point. For some reason, I had never thought of that before - I just assumed everyone was like me and wanted a job they loved ... and that was their life. But imagine that - some people don't care about their job as long as they make enough money at it to do what they enjoy!

I love good discussions with others because it challenges me to think through other people's perspectives instead of always assuming everyone thinks the way I think - (which they certainly do not!)

No comments:

Post a Comment